Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Old School, When Did It Become a Negative?

Remember when...fill in the blank.  It usually has to do with someone telling or showing us something that made a difference in how we continued.  My memory is being taught how to draft with a 1966 Ward LaFrance.  The slight of hand that was needed to pull the tank suction, activate the primer, adjust the throttle control, and "hear" the water as it entered the pump.  I'm not sure how long it would've taken me to learn the complex operation but I'm sure that the officer with the patience of a saint streamlined the process.  That's what I'm talking about, spending the time, sharing the knowledge, and bringing your fellow firefighters up to another level.  Yeah, professional.

As a group of young guys prepare to take their certification test I picked up a 2.5 gate valve and mentioned that this item was a pass/fail when I took the test 20 or more years ago.  We talked about where it goes on the hydrant and why.  Simple and to the point.  Something that you usually skip over and no one notices until they need it.  Now other stations will notice and remember that they should be doing it too.


What's your story?  And better yet, what are you willing to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment